TECHNET Archives

March 2016

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2016 15:51:42 -0400
  I have seen solder wet up the PTH and not wet to the component lead.
There is a little known or discussed problem with the J-STD-002. It does
not require wetting close to the component.
I have also seen examples where the solder wets up the lead and PTH but
where a contaminate on the PTH (solder mask) prevents required
circumferential wetting.

And on one time I saw nearly 100% vertical fill 100% wetting, but a
defect condition because of a crack in the PTH at the interface of the
rolled copper foil and the plated copper wall, took a cross section to
find it.