TECHNET Archives

February 2016

From:
Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 2016 21:12:32 +0000
For the historical record, women have been taking over men's names for a number of years.  (About 25 years ago, the IEEE reliability transactions had a frequent, distinguished contributor named 'Beverly'.  It took me a while to figure out these impressive contributions were not coming from a woman.)

Consider Vivian, Marion, Shirley...I might dredge a few others from the mists of memory.  More recent appropriations by women include Stacy and Tracy.  Despite George Eliot and Georges Sand, men have kept at least that name for themselves. Willa Cather tried using William for much of her life, but did not start a trend.

 Joyce is another one men have lost....Louis Hart