TECHNET Archives

February 2016

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2016 16:17:25 -0700
Hi Tom,

No you aren't the only one. What I usually do is take the solder sample PCB
that I get from the lot and then will use dummy components placed over the
surface of the PCB to simulate as best I can the thermal mass that will be
on the board, for the bottom terminated stuff I will tape the thermocouple
down so that the tip is in the center of the footprint and then place a
similar sized dummy over top of it and then run the profile. While I know
there are the purists out there that say you must drill holes and embed the
thermocouple precisely at the junction where the solder joint will form,
and I would agree, only if I had the luxury of a complete sample board for
my profile development, but the fact of the matter is that I never do. So I
have to make do with what I have, and for the most part I will get
acceptable results using my method.

Steve

--

This email and any attachments are only for use by the intended
recipient(s) and may contain legally privileged, confidential, proprietary