TECHNET Archives

February 2016

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2016 13:50:54 -0600
IPC-6011 is the General Standard for bare boards (not assembled yet),
IPC-6012 is specific to RIGID bare boards (other numbers for flex, HDI, etc)
IPC-A-600 is a VISUAL REFERENCE to help evaluate acceptability

I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but the hourglass shape is usually the effect of trying to plate a small diameter hole, and the acceptability is usually to specify a MINIMUM hole wall thickness, nothing related to the "shape" of the plating. (we allow our vias to be plated completely closed)

see IPC6012 Tables 3-4 and 3-5 for hole wall plating minimums,
and
see pictures in IPC-A-600 section 3.1, and specifically DESMEAR issues in 3.1.6

Jack

.