TECHNET Archives

February 2016

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2016 14:42:02 +0000
This thread leads me to a slight variation.  We have a 4 layer board, copper planes on both sides with a bunch of 0603 and SOIC components in two small areas and some large ferrite transformers that are about 1 inch square and 1/2 inch high.  I can't believe this would use the same profile.  Do you run this to mount the big parts and follow with a different profile that will reflow just the small parts leaving the big parts untouched?

I'm in disagreement with other engineers on how to handle this.  And no I have not yet looked at the manufacturer's recommended profiles of the important and different parts.  Other fires to put out first.

Also, how do you handle a profile for a batch of ten boards where you don't have the luxury of having a populated test board?  The ten boards could potentially be the run for the entire year.

Phil Nutting