TECHNET Archives

February 2016

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:41:11 -0600
Hi Tom - well, nothing beats the real board but we often have the same
issue. You have a couple of options that have been shown to get you in the
right ball park: (1) there is profile software that does a pretty
reasonable job of getting a valid thermal profile which you then tweak as
you run your first couple of boards; (2) If you add these factors together:
board thickness, total amount of copper weight, component technology type
and component density - you should be able to create an initial working
thermal profile. I put together a set of "golden" boards reflecting these
variables many moons ago, thermal coupled them and recorded their profiles.
That action provided me a thermal profile comparison window I could then
use to estimate what a new design might demand for thermal inputs. Over
time, we have gained enough comparison experience that we can created a
thermal profile for a new design that is fairly accurate and only needs
small tweaks.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins