TECHNET Archives

December 2015

From:
Lum Wee Mei <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lum Wee Mei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2015 00:23:58 +0000
Dear All,
I have several questions that bother me and hope some kind souls out there can enlighten and show me the way.

For VITA 46 card cage configuration, we have choices of press-fit connectors from different suppliers, each having their pros and cons. However, it was noted that some suppliers only have ENIG plating finish for backplane connector while there is an option for ENIG or tin/lead for daughter card connector.

The questions that bother me are :
If the backplane connector is ENIG plating finish, it is recommended that the connector's holes on PCB will be ENIG. Can I have the following option and what is the impact to a 3.5 - 5Gbps high-speed design :
(a) Both daughter cards and backplane will have HASL surface finish except for connectors holes with ENIG finish.
(b) Fully HASL finish daughter cards with fully ENIG finish backplane.
(c) Both daughter cards and backplane to be fully ENIG finish.

Deeply appreciate your respond.

Thanks and regards,
~wee mei~