TECHNET Archives

December 2015

From:
Dick Hatano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dick Hatano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2015 19:38:49 +0000
Steve,

I think my reply to the forum will bounce because my e-mail address has changed, so likely you will only receive this reply directly.  If you reply, please go ahead and reply to the forum, thanks.

I've used a lot of layout software and from what you describe it can easily be done in Eagle.  It could probably even be done in gerber editing tools, but that would be more trouble than it's worth.
Eagle isn't a bad program and it has one big advantage.  It is the number one ECAD program in the open source community.  That might not be a big benefit for you now, but if you branch out later that is one benefit Eagle offers (besides low start up price).

My advice though for this first job is to just try one of the free design packages offered by one of the fab vendors.  I have not tried any but it seemed most manufacturers were offering their own free design software that will create a layout that is captive to them.  From my understanding they are decent programs and would give you an idea of how much you want to take over board design before making a commitment.
I would recommend checking with your favorite board suppliers to see if they offer  design freeware.
Here are a couple I found:

http://www.4pcb.com/free-pcb-layout-software/
http://www.sunstone.com/pcb-products/pcb123

I think there are many more.
Good luck.  If you run into any problems I don't mind helping as much as I can as a way to say "thanks for hosting the photos".

Dick Hatano
PCB Designer

3855 Ruffin Road,  San Diego, CA 92123-1813  USA
Direct   858.244.3392    |     Fax   858.836.3400