TECHNET Archives

October 2015

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2015 11:40:53 +0000
Hi Bob
As a former and current contract manufacturer of this sort of thing, I have to steal Doug's "it depends" (tm).

When repairs are needed the allowability and acceptability is entirely customer dependent.  I have dealt with some customers who give a blanket OK to do IPC 7721 repairs, some who will OK a subset of them, some want reporting of usage of the repair methods, and some will not allow any repair work.  Interestingly enough this does not correlate to mission criticality, or end use environment, it seems to be based on gut reaction - whatever experience the customer engineering team has had.

The only boundary condition I've worked with (other than "no, you can not repair") has been track repair - none of the customers I have worked with have allowed a foil repair.  In every case an actual wire has been used (e.g. pad torn off, we can bond down a replacement pad but have to connect that pad to the circuitry using a jumper wire).

regards,

Graham Collins
Senior Process Engineer
Sunsel Systems