TECHNET Archives

October 2015

From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2015 18:07:09 +0000
Victor,
You should read IPC-HDBK-840. It will answer all of those questions.
I just finished qualifying a rework soldermask, which is why I know it would be helpful to you.
It deals with soldermask in terms of dielectric properties, BGA solderball extrusion for soldermask-defined pads, types of soldermask most appropriate for Automotive, Aerospace, Telecomm, Consumer, and even Underseas applications, both from a military and down-hole perspective (all of these have completely different requirements in terms of material properties, especially dielectric and CTE factors). Even the Underseas applications for signal processing equipment, telecomm, power, and down-hole drilling equipment have huge differences in requirements. The soldermask needs to be able to match the PWB qualities and characteristics. Soldermask and subsequent processes are completely different (usually) for an ENIG finish versus an IAg finish versus an OSP finish. They all have different surface activity, so that is another consideration when looking at CCAs that have a lot of underbonded, cornerbonded, staked, or encapsulated components (or even just one critical component!). There is helpful information on RoHS, WEEE, and Environmental issues, compatibility with all of the various fluxes and cleaning and process chemistries, etc. It includes information on challenges for High Frequency and Ultra-High Frequency design, thermal dissipation factors, high operating temperature situations, Pb-free processing and effects, compatibility with legend and marking inks, rigid-flex and flex applications, and different Types of maskant (thermal cure, UV, LPI, dry, etc.)

I urge you to obtain a copy. I think its $35.00. It may not make the New York Times bestseller list anytime soon, but I have yet to find a sure cure for insomnia with absolutely no side effects at that price.

Odin