TECHNET Archives

October 2015

From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 19:58:18 -0400
smt solder paste printability goes down with high humidity.  some of
the low cost paste explode if you have high humidity and let the
printed board sit around too long prior to reflow.  paste after print
may have sag problem if your process window is very wide.  you get
more solderballs and solder fines (depend upon what paste you use)-
flux activity degraded.   If you know your paste well, you might be
able to cut down your work life by x% if your un-intentionally got
hit by high humidity... otherwise, you run a risk (if it is qualified
line with regulated RH, I would not accept the relax RH just because
someone think it would have no impact... unless you have data to
prove it within the whole process window - that including the paste
at end of the shelf life). My 1.5 cents.  (if you are in amazon, make
sure you control the humidity on the floor).
                jk