TECHNET Archives

October 2015

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 20:29:41 +0000
Esteemed colleagues,

For our high voltage transformers, many are wound with Litz wire (see links below for more info).  To make an electrical connection we tin the wire ends in a solder pot.  From there the tinned wire may be inserted and soldered into a circuit board or a ring lug is crimped onto the tinned end.

So here is the "discussion" within our group.  I have fought (and won) to eliminate crimping and tinning of ring lug terminated regular stranded or solid wire.  The theory being that if the crimp lug has been properly sized to the wire and the tool used is properly calibrated for the lug/wire being crimped that the crimp forms a gas tight seal and further treatment such as soldering it is unnecessary or even detrimental.  I have supporting documentation from Amp for this statement.

Ok, now enter tinned Litz wire.  Does the properly sized lug/wire combination require soldering after crimping?  Some here say it must be soldered the argument being the solder is softer than the copper and therefor there will be cold flow.  Also if it heats up the solder could melt, but if that happens there are bigger problems than just the crimp/solder joint, IMHO.  I believe crimping and tinning of Litz is not necessary, simply crimping is sufficient.

Opinions?

Reference links;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

https://www.newenglandwire.com/en/products/litz-wire-and-formed-cables/types-and-constructions

Phil Nutting  |  HVP Development Engineer   |  Excelitas Technologies Corp

Lab: +1 978.224.4332   |  Office: +1 978.224.4152
35 Congress St, Salem, MA  01970 USA
www.excelitas.com<http://www.excelitas.com/>

[Excelitas R_emailsig]

This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments. Thank you.