TECHNET Archives

October 2015

From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2015 18:09:12 -0400
I thought there is a generic design guide in 7xxx series from IPC,
but not as compliances.  As for electrical clearance in Z dimension
of assembly stack, your design call the shot.  it need to be defined
not only static condition of clearance, but also dynamic condition-
for example, what happen when the assembly drop on impact, is it
clearance still maintained or will it be short to the two vertical
functional layers or mechanically damage the one of the parts.  only
your designer can answer that (based on the assembly/system
requirements).
based on early email, look like two supply of the parts, one is OK,
the other is not... there is a problem  of equivalent but not
better... sourcing issues... (or loose design control, if it forgot
to put tolerance on it... or you have a free spirit buyer out
there... hard to say what is your problem.  don't think ipc is going
to fix it... training your designer or buyer might be a better
solution).
my 1.5 cents.
           jk