IPC-600-6012 Archives

October 2015

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Dupriest, Don" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 17:35:56 +0000
I agree, this part saw too much heat duration; perhaps in the press.  Kapton can become brittle exposed to air and heat.  Maybe the flex area was cut back and exposed during lamination.  If its protected (sealed in a cocoon type construction) then atmosphere does not get to the outer bare caption surface thereby slowing any oxidizing that could occur under lamination temperature.  Lamination can be 370 to 390 F.  I would look at flex fab and lamination history and method especially material against the part like Mike mentioned, e.g., Silicon press pad.

C. D. (Don) Dupriest
LM Fellow - SME-PWB/CCA Technology

Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control
Advanced Manufacturing Technology
member of: Production Technical Excellence Staff
Office: 972/603-7724
Email: [log in to unmask]

LM eForums for PWB-CCA (subscribe here)