TECHNET Archives

September 2015

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:47:38 +0000
With true ENIG (as defined in IPC-4552), any copper dissolution is rare. With ENIG, the dissolution (IMF) is of the nickel plating into the solder. Very seldom does the nickel completely dissolve and allow any copper IMCs to form. The gold surface is completely dissolved almost immediately upon initial contact with the molten solder.
Upon removing a BGA and soldering a new one on, the IMF is formed directly to the existing nickel/solder IMF left behind on the board pads after removal and site prep. The additional IMF thickness increase is very small, typically less than 1 micron, because the dissolution of tin or tin/lead into the nickel has already reached equilibrium during the original soldering and site prep process. Once equilibrium is reached, very little additional IMF growth occurs. Typically, the copper is never involved, although very minor amounts will show up in the IMF also.
Odin