TECHNET Archives

September 2015

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2015 17:26:43 -0400
As an occasional student of my "Fritz" German roots, I have several comments.

1. The borders of Hesse have moved around a lot, depending on who won what war.
2. I regard Hesse as EAST of the Rhine river, not really north.  If you have been to Frankfurt, you have been to Hesse.
3. The Romans did pretty well WEST of the Rhine River, but suffered badly when they met the Roman educated Arminius leading the Germans - quote from Wikipedia -
The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest described as clades Variana (the Varian disaster) by Roman historians, took place in the Teutoburg Forest in 9 CE, when an alliance of Germanic tribes ambushed and decisively destroyed three Roman legions and their auxiliaries, led by Publius Quinctilius Varus. The anti-Roman alliance was led by Arminius, who had acquired Roman citizenship and received a Roman military education, thus enabling him to personally deceive the Roman commander and foresee the Roman army's tactical responses.
Despite several successful campaigns and raids by the Roman army in the years after the battle, they never again attempted to conquer Germanian territory east of the Rhine River. The Germanic victory against the Roman legions in the Teutoburg forest had far-reaching effects on the subsequent history of both the ancient Germanic peoples and on the Roman Empire. Modern historians have regarded Arminius' victory as "Rome's greatest defeat"[4] and one of the most decisive battles in history.[5][6][7][8][9][10]
4. Both Hillman (more commonly Hillmann) and Pauls have German family roots.  I find that while there are 1807 families of Pauls (Paulus, etc) in Germany today, there are 2304 Hillmanns (or Heilmanns).  Both families have some residents of Hesse, but their predominant location today is more downriver near the Rhine, toward Belgium or Holland. .  Either Hillman, Pauls, or both, could be related to   Frau Verargert.