TECHNET Archives

August 2015

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2015 09:21:45 -0500
Hi Craig - as a general industry rule, the acknowledged shelf life of a
component or printed board surface finish is one year. After that time
period, any solderability issues are your issues and not the fabricator
issues. Of course, some board fabricators may shorten that time period for
some types of finishes but as a general industry rule and per much of the
IPC JSTD 003 committee testing, a correctly processed surface finish would
be solderable after one year under standard (21C, 30-60% RH) storage
conditions. You can extend the one year time period a number of ways
including using MSL storage bags, nitrogen storage, etc and the IPC-1601
specification contains a wealth of information to assist on that topic.  I
have worked with some fabricators who know their surface finish processes
so well they can provide an ENIG finish that will be solderable after 2
years of storage. Bottom line - team with your board fabricator to
understand what is possible/necessary for your process. Hope this is
helpful.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins