TECHNET Archives

August 2015

From:
James Head <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, James Head <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2015 13:16:00 +0000
The tale about components from Japan I heard before Six-Sigma became more mainstream, from my business lecturer at University around 1990.  The version I learnt was that a Western company signed a contract with a Japanese semiconductor company for the supply of 1000 micro-controllers and as part of the contract were prepared to accept that 1% of the devices would be faulty.

When the devices were shipped the Western Company's management were puzzled to find 1000 micro-controllers, all fully working, but an extra bag in the bottom of the shipping package containing 10 additional micros.

Inside the extra bag was note saying "Here are your 10 faulty micro-controllers - we will never understand the ways of the west".

As to how true it is I can't say.  It may be just like the tale of the bloke stealing wheelbarrows from his workplace for twenty years.

James