TECHNET Archives

August 2015

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2015 13:56:05 -0600
Hi All,

So here's the story; we're building a board that has a Linear Technology
LT3652 12-pin MSOP device on it, and it has a belly or grounding pad on it.
The board is designed with five 20-mil via's beneath it (bad idea), and
they are through via's not cap plated or tented. So they start having
problems with the part. The footprint on the board has the belly aperture
much larger that the pad on the device itself. I have a 5-mil thick stencil
because there are 20-mil pitch QFP's on the board, and I print 100% of the
area of the belly pad on the board (which is .160" X .082"). My reflow
profile peaked out at 228 C. and I was above reflow for 63/37 for
112-seconds. While I did not have a thermocouple on that part, I did have
it nearby because there are some large D-Packs in the vicinity and I wanted
to be sure I was getting adequate reflow on those.

So the complaint is that we're getting insufficient solder on the belly
pad. It was told to to us that there is less than 50% coverage on the belly
pad. We x-rayed many boards and while we could see that sometimes the vias
didn't fill, we saw evidence of solder on almost 100% of the area of the
pad. We could tilt the board and under high magnification see beneath the
part and tell that solder had wet to the belly pad on the part, but what we
could not tell was how much it actually covered the pad. We removed parts
with hot air and could not find one part that did not have solder wet to
100% of the pad.

So my boss asked me to take a board and physically pry one off to see what
it looked like. So I got a heavy exacto blade and slipped it beneath the
edge of the part and pried. The corner broke and then the top half part
with all the guts split off, a couple of leads in the corners broke off
too, but the belly pad stayed on the board. I was able to get the exacto
blade under a corner of the belly pad and I could slowly peel it away from
the solder joint, and this is what it looked like:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/LT3652_Belly_Pad.jpg

So I saw a few small voids (which was not unexpected), but to my untrained
eye I don't see much wrong. I do wonder a little about me being able to
peel away the belly pad like that, should I have been able to do that? Or
does the solder fracture along the intermetallic layer when you apply
peeling forces like that?

Thanks in advance for any input...

Steve

--

This email and any attachments are only for use by the intended
recipient(s) and may contain legally privileged, confidential, proprietary