TECHNET Archives

August 2015

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:34:39 +0000
Hi Adrian-

That connection between a package pin and a pcb is always scary. I like this
better than just soldering the pins to surface mount pads, but I still find it
a little scary since there's no strain relief in the system. I agree with
Steve that this is something IPC doesn't address, although I'm sure there's a
blanket statement in there somewhere about using engineering and tests to
design and qualify the mechanics of the situation. Those are probably
glass-to-metal seals in there too, and those are pretty notoriously sensitive
to being soldered this close, let alone any forces due to temperature changes
or vibration.

Wayne