TECHNET Archives

July 2015

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:51:25 -0500
Hi Mumtaz - just my opinion but I would not go to a low temperature alloy
for the issue you detailed as there should be other root causes that are
the problem. My guess is that you have a solderability or pad geometry or
some other contributing issue. One possible root cause would be that the
passive components being soldered do not have a termination barrier layer.
Lead-free solders are have aggressive dissolution rates and if your passive
components don't  have a termination barrier layer (typically copper or
nickel) then the soldering process may be leaching the termination finish
completely into the solder joint allowing for the issue you are seeing.  A
simple fix would be to use a better quality part and not have a complex
soldering process with two alloys.

Dave