TECHNET Archives

July 2015

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:49:33 -0400
there are smt adhesive you can use if your passive is not too small. there
are also many trick you can use (I am sure this site is full of the gurus
that familiar with same situation as you - usually only happen in
prototype, after a spin or two, it should be gone... balance board layout
would be a trail and error learning experience... look like you are in to
the thick of it).  use smt plate to cover part of the passive to reduce
the heat is one of them..  change solder material is not a good choice, it
will impact your reliability (strength, corrosion, fatigue, dissimilar
material pair, etc. etc.).  I would use it as last option (Make sure all
your components termination is compatible to the new solder you try to use
is a scary task).  my 2 cents.  Have fun.
             jk
> Hi Joyce,  Board has heavy copper planes and a lot of  topside passives on
> the board are not wetting very well with SAC alloys, so the switch to low
> melt Sn /Bi solder to facilitate the soldering of passives.
>

> Thank-you
> Mumtaz
> 858-795-0112
> Peregrine  Semiconductor