TECHNET Archives

July 2015

From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2015 18:40:21 +0000
SAC alloys under the best of circumstances do not readily wet out to begin with. That characteristic alone should not be the sole basis for switching to a low-melt alloy, especially when soldering to NiPdAu-finished components. A low-temp Bi-based solder joint may display excellent wetting, but it does not mean it is better than a SAC alloy with limited wetting but a much stronger IMF.

Just a caution note: I am assuming you received a customer waiver to do so. Nearly all assembly drawings specify which solder alloy to use; one cannot simply switch due to design issues. You will need to make sure you track which assemblies use any alternate alloys not specified on the BOM or drawing. The low-temp alloy attribute will need to be on the As-Built record for traceability, just in case there IS a reliability issue down the road. It doesn't matter if it is a Class 1 assembly or a Class 3 because if you have 10,000 Class 1 assemblies failing in commercial automotive entertainment centers it can cost you as much or more as 10 defibrillators or 1 flight control computer.

Nothing is ever free; what you gain in being able to solder at a lower temperature you are going to give up in SJ reliability, be it increased ductility, or brittleness at the opposite extreme, or whiskering, SJ fracturing, or whatever. You need to determine if the particular worst-case application/environment the CCA sees will cause issues with the low temp solder joints that are not seen with the specified alloy. One must realize that soldering NiPdAu-finished components with Sn42.0Bi57.6Ag0.4 is not an everyday occurrence in our industry. It should be well-qualified before jumping into production. Don't assume customer buy-in frees you from any liability; they are depending on you for your expertise in such matters.

Dean