TECHNET Archives

July 2015

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:06:56 -0400
Dean, I think we are in violent agreement.  You said "any Pb-free
solder on the replacement part termination is less than 1% or 2% of the final
solder joint" and I said "carefully de-soldered and care used
to remove as much Pb-free solder as possible"

I am sure on the NASA/DoD repair work done on by the military, the component was removed carefully and the solder wicked from the original joint . Then, the 2M repair procedure wets the attachment site with eutectic and that is wicked off.  Finally, the good component is attached with eutectic.

My analogy is double dipping component leads to replace either gold or pure tin finish with eutectic.

I am open to further discussion of Pb-free finishes containing bismuth, and being reworked with eutectic.  I know Hillman and others have said it is fine - not enough bismuth left to intermetallic with Pb for low melting/weak intermetallics.  BUT, is anyone reworking lead-free bismuth with eutectic on a daily basis?   DoD types are VERY conservative.

Denny Fritz