TECHNET Archives

July 2015

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 15:39:23 +0000
I can tell you firsthand that with the choices one has today of low, medium, and high deductible plans, with options to have different pharmacies, and having to "shop around" for medical procedures to avoid overpaying your share after the allowable price is paid by the insurance company, and finding out yourself that you can buy many of the same drugs far cheaper over the counter, there are so many items facing not only a newbie, but even us older workers.
A class in college that would teach kids about not only how to handle personal finances, showing the effects of how small increases in savings in a 401K can translate into big bucks later, how to shop for home, auto, and life insurance and being able to discern true value in different coverages versus the premium payments, would be invaluable to ANYONE. Such a class would not only help kids who have grown up in the U.S., but would also help immigrants and refugees from other countries as well. Think "Managing Financial Security For Today's Young, Upwardly Mobile and Good-Looking Professional 101".