TECHNET Archives

July 2015

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:34:50 +0000
Uff Da!
Some things to consider: the boards can be expected to display some resin recession or deformation, the pads will display some dark brown OSP as well as some copper oxidation underneath the OSP, the solder will de-wet back somewhat from the edges of the pads due to the weakened condition of the OSP which will fail to protect the bare copper underneath, and there may be some warpage of the PWB itself from such a prolonged bake at such high temperatures that surely brought the laminate into the Td range or very close to it.

They should still be good enough microsections to assure the via wall thickness is at least .001", no delamination issues after the solder bath, etc. but I am really not sure what effect these issues could have on impedence testing. The dielectric properties of the PWB laminate will have changed due to the prolonged exposure to the bake; the PWB may have embrittled whether resin-infused FR-4 or polyimide.

But it sounds as if this would be a wonderful worst-case scenario; if they pass then you know the design is pretty robust. Therefore I would simply continue with the understanding some of these factors may exist. You may as well gain as much information as you can. It may be enough.
Dean