TECHNET Archives

July 2015

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:05:02 +0300
Well, Joyce, my first remark is exposing DVDs/VHS tapes to sunlight is a
big mistake, especially in the greenhouse of a plastic case.
"Direct sunlight can harm VHS tapes

One of the most damaging environmental conditions that can degrade the
longevity of a VHS tape is if it has been stored in direct sunlight.
Direct sunlight dramatically reduces how long a VHS tape can last."
 From http://www.memoryhub.com/news/how-long-do-vhs-tapes-last/

The same can apply to  optical storage, especially R types.

I'm pretty sure that plastic degradation does not occur with a couple of
minutes, or even hours, exposure to sunlight through a window which
blocks UV. Personally, I see no objection to using bioplastics for
packaging video records of any type and I would not shoot the 'engineer'
who selected those plastics.

I take on board your point about recycling bioplastics, something that I
haven't considered. However, I must ask that, if they become a powder at
the drop of a hat, how can you recycle them?

Best regards,

Brian.