TECHNET Archives

May 2015

From:
Enrico Galbiati <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Enrico Galbiati <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2015 21:52:56 +0200
I just have some clarifications.

If voids are not spheres, both the volume criterion and area criterion
may fail. In fact, if the void is not a sphere, the area can not be
uniquely determined, because it depends on the direction of viewing. So,
if one wants to do any numeric calculation considering areas or volumes,
the assumption that the voids can be considered spheres, with an
acceptable error, should be done in any case.

In fact, the standard IPC-7095C (see figure 7-45 and table 7-7)
indicates the diameters of the voids, and a void can be characterized by
a diameter only if a spherical shape is considered the actual shape or,
at least, a good approximation of the actual shape.

People can use Xrays for the evaluation of volumes or areas exactly in
the same way. Assuming spherical voids (see above), in whatever way we
determine area or diameter, we can calculate the volume univocally by a
simply algebraic formula (no need of CT scan).

The problem of comparative densities or contrast ratios affects the
Xrays measurements independently from the fact that we use the area or
the volume for the calculation (if we determine the area, the volume is
determined accordingly, and vice versa).

The evaluation of the criterion for voids is a practical problem,
because based on this criterion we accept or reject, or simply evaluate,
the solder joints. Basing on a specific criterion, we could be too
conservative or too permissive.

Obviously, the volumes, as well as the areas, are not the only
parameters to be considered in the evaluation of a solder joint, but a
good rule about it surely helps.

Enrico

--
Enrico Galbiati