TECHNET Archives

May 2015

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2015 19:55:47 -0400
i am not talking about the (2-1) theory.  Dave, you under estimated
me ;-).  micro voids as a second phase embedded in 96% Pb high melt
fine C4 do have advantage.  think about CTE mismatch....
By the way, anyone want send your selfie to space?  here is your
chance.  you guys go ahead and send your selfie.  I am too ugly...
don't want to scare the alien.
       jk:-)
The launch of our first LightSail prototype is happening next week on
May 20 aboard an Atlas V rocket. This will be a test mission
preparing for our 2016 LightSail launch, which will mark the first
controlled, Earth-orbit solar sail flight.

You can be a part of that 2016 LightSail mission. Join us in the
adventure of space exploration and send your selfie to space aboard
LightSail!

Your selfie will travel with LightSail as it demonstrates solar
sailing, using the momentum of sunlight to propel small spacecraft
through space.

LightSail is the world's first citizen-funded solar sail, and
citizens like you made it possible.

The Planetary Society

© 2015 The Planetary Society. All rights reserved.
85 South Grand Avenue | Pasadena, CA 91105
Forward to a Friend | Unsubscribe

On May 12, 2015, at 10:03 AM, David Hillman wrote:

> [...]
> really hard for the supporting data.
>
> 3) It would be really cool if simple Force per Area calculations would
> provide the industry the answer but when you look at the published
> data,
> that idea falls apart very fast. The primary reason is that the
> overall
> problem is complex as the forces involved (shear, bending, etc.),
> the BGA
> construction, the PCB construction, and the nonlinear solder alloy
> characteristics over temperature play a role on the solder joint
> integrity.
> There are BGA solder joints that are nearly "hollow" that haven't
> cracked
> after 2000 thermal cycles from -55C to +125C.
>
> 4) The JSTD-001 specification has the BGA void requirement criteria
> and the
> IPC-7095 standard contains an enormous amount of information on
> void/process control and Xray assessment methodologies. Don't
> confuse the
> two documents as they both fulfill important and significant needs
> that are
> not the same - lots of folks do and it creates industry confusion.
>
> 5) It would be awesome if everyone had an Xray system that would
> provide 3D
> imaging but that isn't a realistic approach for the industry or the
> specifications. The industry data does support that if your voiding
> stacks
> up at the shear interface at either the component pad/solder joint
> or board
> pad/solder joint then you will lose solder joint integrity quickly.
> But -
> given that BGA voiding should be/is nontypical then the use of
> transmission
> Xray assessment should be adequate. Again, the IPC-7095 standard
> contains
> significant information on how to address void control/assessment.
>
> BGA voiding is one of those topics that really gets discussions going!
>
> Dave Hillman
> Rockwell Collins
>

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Yuan-chia Joyce Koo
> wrote:
>
>> minor voiding actually are good for solder joints (a old old story -
>> provide it is uniform and small and not that many and round).  not
>> sure if
>> there is any digital record... early 90 and late 80 stuff.  Am I
>> dated
>> myself? OMG...
>>       jk
>> On May 11, 2015, at 6:23 PM, Wayne Thayer wrote:
>>
>>  Practically, XRAYS are used to measure voiding since that is
>>> non-destructive. The XRAYS used are uni-directional, so they
>>> basically
>>> have
>>> no clue as to vertical position of a void: They only allow you to
>>> estimate
>>> areas where there is less mass for the XRAYS to interact with.
>>> area. (And this seems adequate also!) Since the XRAYS are good
>>> detectors
>>> of
>>> missing material, what is called "area" is really something about
>>> missing
>>> mass. In fact, if the actual void is 2 microns tall and occupies
>>> 95% of