TECHNET Archives

May 2015

From:
Tony Lentz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Tony Lentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2015 14:47:47 +0000
Hello Enrico,

I agree with Ed's comments about void area.  Joint failures due to voiding typically manifests as mechanical lifting or separation in the joint.   The area of the void can be related to overall joint strength.

The folks who make X-ray systems talk a lot about the importance of void location.  If the voids are located at either the board or component interfaces, then joint strength might be compromised.   If the voids are in the center of the joint, then the joint strength might be acceptable.

Best regards,

Tony Lentz

FCT Assembly
Field Application