TECHNET Archives

May 2015

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 07:40:02 -0500
Hi Lee - as part of the IPC JSTD 001 "State of the Industry Assessment" of
Conformal Coating Material & Application subcommittee activities, we looked
at a number of conformal coating thickness measurement
technologies/techniques since the test plan had 1,950 components to measure
representing 26 material/application sets. We found several very adequate
technologies for flat surfaces but as soon as you had a surface with any
level of topography, the ability to measure coating thickness became very
suspect. We settled on a very prescribed, rigid metallographic
cross-sectional technique that is working very well other than it is slow
and of course, destructive. I wish I had a better option for you but we
didn't have any success in finding an adequate nondestructive method for
nonflat surfaces. It is clearly a topic the industry needs and desires
better method for measurement option.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins