TECHNET Archives

May 2015

From:
James Head <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, James Head <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 08:49:14 +0000
This may be off on a tangent from your query.

Both Chlorides and Sulphates will attack both an immersion tin and an immersion silver finishes on PCBs.  Both of these are target gasses for our Gas Detection products so we use alternative finishes.

The result of Chloride and Sulphate exposure to these finishes was a severe tarnishing of the PCB finish, coloured black, after we conducted a series of short tests.  We didn't do any long term performance testing of the boards to see if there were any electrical performance changes.

It was far simpler from our view to state that these finishes were not acceptable for our products as alternative finishes are available: lead-free HASL, ENIG and Electroless Gold.  It avoids doing any long term tests to check and make sure.  The tarnishing may not have an effect on performance, nor operation, but customers may still notice it, particularly when calibrating or servicing products and it's a lot easier to minimise the number of calls to technical support from customers by avoiding these finishes.

Regards,

James

James Head BEng CID+ MIIE MIET
Senior PCB CAD Engineer