TECHNET Archives

May 2015

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2015 11:27:52 +0000
Hi Steve-

Destroying the connector is a good idea, as long as the process doesn’t result in a bunch of particulate contaminants. Even after that, I'll bet that cleaning out the holes is darned difficult.

You can get a lot of the capability of an Air-Vac by kludging together a bunch of cheaper stuff. (Any SMT assembly area without some kind of controlled rework process must be a frustrating place to work.)

My building didn't have a rework system, so I set up a pretty passable system using a Hakko FR-803, an old microscope boom mount stand with focus adapter, a controlled temperature hot air pre-heater, and a pretty cheesy board holder. I happened to have an old Zephyrtronics for the pre-heat, but you could easily take a feedback controlled hot air gun and add some ducting to get it to the back side of the circuit board. The hardest part of putting it together was building a clamp which holds the hot air tool in the microscope focus ring. Anyone can probably set up a real nice system for about $2500 in new/used parts and a day of fooling with it. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of an Air-Vac, but frankly, that company has ticked me off by not supporting older equipment. And I'd wager the repeatability of this kludged system is on a par with the more expensive stuff.

Anyway, that system probably wouldn't completely solve your present problem because it is hell to get the solder out of all of the holes. In the days before surface mount, you could heat the crap out of a board and smack the board on the rim of a trash can and clear 95% of the holes. But with a bunch of surface mount around the area, that's not an option. Believe it or not, I once programmed our Excellon drill to clean out holes. You probably don't want to go there!

Once, I had a bunch of work to do like what you're talking about, and I tried to build a huge version of a solder sucker. I built a little 5 sided aluminum box which just fit around the bounds of the connector, and put in 3 quarter inch vacuum lines into it, gasketed around the board contact perimeter and set it on a hotplate. I then used a thermostatically controlled heat gun on the top of the board to get everything  melting (cut up a soda can to limit the topside preheat area). It needed a local vacuum reservoir to provide the capacity to the quarter inch lines, and I used a foot operated dump valve to create a sharp dump profile.

That system worked pretty good for clearing the holes, and the adjacent SMT parts were fine, but there were a bunch of electrolytic caps in the area too, and some of those would boil and vent when I was doing that operation.

Rework is NEVER easy!

Wayne