TECHNET Archives

May 2015

From:
Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2015 17:41:46 +0000
Lee, it has been more than 15 years, but I measured synthetic diamond coatings, with thickness a fraction of what I expect conformal coating should be, on metals with an ellipsometer and an instrument called a 'Nanospec'. The ellipsometer was more accurate, as it measured the material property (dielectric permittivity, I think it was) of the specimen then used that to determine coating thickness.  The nanospec, if my memory is correct, had a catalogue of material parameters from which you called up yours and got a thickness in one observational step.

Both used a laser, again if my memory is correct.  The area of coating being measured was a tiny spot, much smaller than any dimension of a component leg I know of.  Louis