TECHNET Archives

April 2015

From:
Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 2015 18:09:47 +0000
Ted et al.,  I have not finished reading the paper linked below, but it does look very interesting. I notice it is from 2005.  A colleague recently sent me a news account of a recent study of bias in research reports. I can retrieve it if anyone would like to have a look.

It indicated that authors were choosing statistical tests to apply to their data according to the tests' reporting of 'significant' results. The levels of significance reported, based on some large number of research papers analyzed - may have been 1800 or so- did not fit a normal (Gaussian for those who persist in using the older terminology) distribution.  I interpreted that statement to mean the significance levels did not fit a tail of a normal distribution.  Such behavior would indicate the authors were picking which statistical test to perform from a set of tests for significance, and picking the one that would allow them to claim an 'important' finding.

For example, for a one-way designed experiment, a number of statisticians have each devised a test of significance, such as those of Newman-Keuls or Duncan.  An author might find only one of the tests showed significance, and report the analysis of that test alone.  Given that the tests are all trying to accomplish much the same thing, the probability of gross misjudgments or dangerous mistakes resulting would seem to be low.  But the significance level analysis the study reports does indicate authors are consciously selecting tests which show their results are significant and dismissing tests which do not show their results are significant.  Louis Hart