TECHNET Archives

April 2015

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 14:05:19 +0000
Ben,

Many passive SMT component manufacturers say to not touch the part with a soldering iron, so transfer soldering is the only way to do it by hand.  The caveat here is liquid flux will make all the difference in heat transfer and quality of solder joint.

For SOIC and similar type leaded SMT components I was taught to flux the part and drag a solder loaded iron across the pins.

These have worked for me, but I'm not doing production.  I do R&D prototypes, repairs and modifications.

For good heat transfer you need to start with a small amount of solder on the tip, but you already knew that.

Just my 2 cents.

Phil