TECHNET Archives

April 2015

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 13:22:33 +0100
Yes, probably 90% of any oxide that forms is there within a few hours.

Long term storage is not an area I have studied deeply, but I recall reading
somewhere a synopsis of a paper where the author proposed the idea of just
buying naked die and packaging them as required. Be interested to hear views
on that, I just thought that would open another can of works along the known
good die debates of yesteryear, and moved on.

--
Best Wishes

Mike
Hi gang - hate to destroy an industry myth but tin oxidation is pretty much
self limiting. The oxidation reaction will hit a plateau around 40 nm and
then stop. Most long term solderability loss isn't from oxidation of the
external interface but rather the consumption of a tin layer from
intermetallic growth over time. Since a BGA typically has a SMD gold over
nickel over copper pad (the gold is consumed during ball attach) and the
IMC growth of tin/nickel is very slow, once the solderball outer surface
hits the 40 nm mark, solderability isn't going to change, especially if
MSL/inert gas packaging is used.

Dave

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Stadem, Richard D. <[log in to unmask]