TECHNET Archives

April 2015

From:
Sue Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2015 15:29:38 +0100
We regularly use components 5, 10,and sometimes even 15-20 years old - not by choice but to support spares and legacy designs :-)

There are a few strategies:

1) Hope - store the parts as you normally do, bake before use and then hope they solder - not recommended.

2) Store in a nitrogen atmosphere - this can either by in a controlled nitrogen filled dry storage cabinet - in which case no need for baking and no oxidisation
        Or you can back-flush and your regular MBB (in which case you may need to do some maintenance as these bags are nor impermeable for life and so you may need to rinse and replace every year or so).

3) Allow for the fact that you will have to 'refresh' the balls before use - i.e. remove and replace them in batches as you need to use them, this has the downside that it can get expensive and although the companies that offer this as a professional service are very good, the component still needs to see a couple of extra heat cycles.

We favour option 2, but some of our customers will ask for option 3.

Sue Knight
Project Engineer
E-mail: [log in to unmask]