TECHNET Archives

April 2015

From:
Patrick Goodyear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:07:48 -0400
Phil,

If you are talking IPA  vs Ethyl or methanol, the latter is much more
reactive to resin based fluxes, the other advantage is the 200 proof
denatured will also dehydrate the device it is used on.    I was taught
in the Navy to use methanol exclusively.     On the older  formulations
of 60-40 or 63-37, I feel  there is nothing better, it also has the
advantage as a de greaser so will remove fingerprints.     When I wash a
board with ethyl I always position the board vertical and wash from the
center out.      As a comparison using a spray on de-fluxer causes
moisture to condense on the board.    Ethyl or methanol removes
moisture, it is for the most part anhydrous.   If you purchase the 200
proof food grade version, one must pay the appropriate state and federal
taxes.    There is a 200 proof, 1% denatured version that doesn't have
the tax issues, and there is a 190 proof, fuel grade but that leaves a
residue due to the denaturing agent.

pat goodyear
retired