TECHNET Archives

April 2015

From:
Tony Lentz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Tony Lentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:51:05 +0000
Hello Brian,

Galvanic corrosion can occur during board manufacturing in the plating processes that are used to plate immersion silver or immersion tin finishes.  This is especially a concern where solder mask has been undercut creating a crevice where the plating chemistry becomes trapped.  The immersion silver or tin plating processes do not use electricity, but the chemistry is formulated to etch copper while plating silver or tin.  The plating chemistry that is trapped in a solder mask crevice has the potential to react aggressively with the copper creating an accelerated copper etching effect.

I have seen cases where over 0.5 mils of copper has been etched away during immersion tin plating.  That much reduction in a copper thickness is certainly a cause for concern and poses a reliability issue.

This type of aggravated copper corrosion can be prevented through proper control of the chemistry in the plating process.  The solder mask coating process can also be controlled to minimize undercut, which reduces the possibility of this issue occurring.

Changing the circuit design to include a teardrop shape is one way to help ensure that a good electrical connection still exists if the aggravated copper corrosion issue occurred.

Best regards,

Tony Lentz

FCT Assembly
Field Application