TECHNET Archives

April 2015

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2015 17:00:59 +0000
Good points, Steve.

I've seen wirebonded COB on many mass produced items: automotive ignition modules and watches are two very high yield, low wire count items.

So, the ultimate achievable yield is no issue. As Steve said, PPM is the proper unit of measure for a wirebond based process that is under control.

Hence the question is actually: How painful will it be to achieve a required yield? This is interesting, and I'm sure we could come up with a decent engineering approach for how long this would take and how much it would cost for a competent crew to get a process to a certain level. I find that an experienced operator working with familiar materials can get to 99% in under a day. The effort goes up exponentially from there--Getting to 99.9% might take three or four days, 99.99% a few weeks, etc.

IF you don't have a "competent" party to do this, then it becomes and educational mission as well, and as we know, education can be ridiculously expensive!

Wayne Thayer