TECHNET Archives

March 2015

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2015 18:07:04 -0800
Rich,
MIL-I-46058 is simply a materials qualification document.  It does not
address the coating of board edges.  I would disagree with Graham and I do
not believe that conformal coating edges of boards is a value added
process.  Most boards in high performance electronics have routed edges.
The routing process tends to smear the resin over the glass reinforcement,
sealing the edges.  And since most design standards do not allow internal
circuitry closer than 25 mils from the edge of the boards, water or
external contaminants would have to penetrate 25 mils of epoxy resin to get
to circuitry.  If the edges of the boards were sheared or snapped, where
the resin did not seal the ends, then perhaps the sealing would be
justified.  I can say that Rockwell has coated some board edges and left
other edges free.  We have no field failure, ever, that can be traced to
lack of coating the board edges.

Doug Pauls
Principal Materials and Process Engineer
Rockwell Collins