TECHNET Archives

March 2015

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2015 14:43:57 +0000
I feel the need to point out the obvious:

-Suppose we singulated a board by using a pcb drill, drilling thousands of
overlapping holes. It's hard to keep drills sharp, so let's assume we just
swap out bits after the same number of "hits" that we deem the bit good for
via hole drilling. Now how 'bout we coat the exposed edge with plated metal,
just to make sure that if there's a problem with the drilling/routing process,
we have a real good chance of making a short.

Any reason that should be dis-allowed? Try calculating the exposed area on the
edge vs. all of the via circumferences you've got!

Therefore, it's ridiculous to specify coating of routed board edges, which if
anything, have less potential to damage fiber bundles than a drill. Snapped
areas are a different category because drilling/milling has a limited
capability to damage the laminate.

Wayne