TECHNET Archives

March 2015

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2015 22:36:02 -0500
(1) shelf life I-Sn is not as good as electroplated - you better
store in good place if you intend to use as low volume high mix,
including repair --- definitely not for the "life time buy" type of
design.
(2) depend upon the flux-paste you use and reflow condition, you may
or may not see the difference
(3) depend upon where you get your board - usually, electroplated you
can get good one from many vendors (if you do not have stringer
requirements on flatness, they can plate enough to cover the Cu....),
but few really do good on immersion.  if your flux is a less active
type, the wetting might be a bit of problem if you get a "me too" guy...
(4) if your tolerance for SMT is good on your design - not on the
bleeding edge type, immersion from "me too" guy might be OK.  if you
need mil-2000 class III wetting on the heel/toe, etc.etc. stay with
electroplate if I were you ;-).  the spc chart of std deviation might
be a bit broad (FWHM) especially when the immersion type at end of
shelf life...
my 1.6 cents.
                 jk