TECHNET Archives

March 2015

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2015 07:46:38 -0500
Hi Victor - not much data in the public domain on that topic. About the
best you can do is get a copy of the International Tin Research Institute's
Publication 656 titled "Solder Alloy Data". Publication 565 contains
tensile, fatigue and shear data for a number of solder alloys over various
temperature and stress/strain rates. The testing we completed back in the
early 1990's at Rockwell Collins on plated thru hole strength nearly always
resulted in failure of the plated thru hole/laminate rather than the solder
joint itself using slow tensile speeds (unpublished). Plate thru hole
solder joints are truly indestructable.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins