TECHNET Archives

March 2015

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2015 16:01:13 +0000
Hi Bob-

You forgot to say you want it real cheap too!

Seriously, the big fly in the ointment is the fast changeover and the cost.
Otherwise, there are new and used high precision small printers (such as
MPM--you'd have to add board mounting blocks to the stage) available. Setting
up any printer takes a while. Solder paste is inherently filthy, and without
careful attention to detail "gums up the works", reducing repeatability.

Being small saves you very little because all of the manufacturing cost goes
into getting the precision you need anyway. So there's virtually no market for
a small machine that does high precision--Would you pay a discount of only 15%
if the stencil size you could use went from 20"x20" down to 12"x12"? Probably
you would look at potential growth and resale value, and conclude that it's
worth it to buy the 20"x20".

As I'm sure you've seen, there are manual systems set up for small prototype
runs where the squeegee is either held manually or just driven manually. These
can be frustrating to use because the alignment mechanisms are cheesy and, if
you go that route, you'll probably figure out some enhancement which need to
be made to make it more repeatable/convenient. As delivered, they really
aren't a whole lot better than just hooking a stencil holder to some door
hinges and taping the boards down!

"Fast changeover" suggests no stencil at all--use a "jetter" to fire little
globs of paste at the board. We're investigating that process right now
through a contract assembly house that has a jetter on their P&P machine. I'm
skeptical on the 0201s, and the prices of these things are probably
considerably beyond your budget. When considering this option, you need to
realize that purging the solder paste from the capillaries and valves is
probably not much fun, so I'd suspect that once you get one of these things
running decently, you really want to keep throughput so the paste doesn't get
old.

Wayne