IPC-600-6012 Archives

March 2015

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Jeff Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2015 18:54:17 +0000
All:

I think the second sentence in 3.6.2.16 is as close as you could get to calling the initial picture sent by Russ a rejectable condition.  The void appears to be just deeper than .003".  (Screenshot attached for convenience.)

This is assuming that what we are looking at in the original picture is a true void (located above the resin fill and below the cap) caused by non-conductive holefill not making it into the via like it should have.

Unfortunately whether or not a void of that size, at that location, surrounded by that amount of copper poses a real reliability concern is probably outside of the current scope.  One would think that if thermal stress did not cause it to rupture, is there some other sort of long term risk?

Jeff