DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2015

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:10:28 -0500
better at what? good question.
(maybe I should apologize to the group for not knowing what to ask. SORRY!)

and maybe I should quietly withdraw and go read Coombs PCB Handbook,
(which I completely forgot about)
but in fairness to the rest of this group, who may be questioning my sanity
right now,
I'll phrase it one more way before I go into hiding.

I've tried to write a basic tutorial for new designers at
http://HowToPCB.net
(or http://frontdoor.biz/HowToPCB/HowToPCB.html )

since the reflow soldering process is the harshest condition a PCB will
ever experience
and better materials are now available this decade for RoHS compatibilty
I explained the reasoning for calling out materials like /126 and /129
ok with that.
My company uses /126 and a bazillion others do too (or /129),
We've never experienced any problems with them,
and so far we haven't ever had to look for anything better.
fine.

but one point that I believe that should be covered in any good tutorial, is
"How should a Designer know when /126 or /129 isn't good enough?"
I don't know how to answer that question, or provide any advice for it.
(but I am willing to learn more about materials,
and I will cheerfully fade away for awhile)

sorry for posting such a vague question here.

onward thru the fog,
Jack