DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2015

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Rainer Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2015 20:20:13 +0100
Hi all,

there is a very wide variety of BTCs with power pads, so as in most cases "it
depends", mostly on pitch and distance between thermal pad and peripheral
pads and the solder mask clearance whether the concept of direct
connection between peripheral pads and power pad would cause a risk of
solder draining and thus unreliable solder joints.

Additionally for components with very fine pitches - 400µm and less - the
thickness of solder mask on traces changes the topology of the local
surface around the BTC which may have some influence on the amount of
solder paste printed and may cause some elevation of the component body
and again has some influence on the solder joint hight and therefore
reliability.

So in general it would be safer to avoid direct connection between
peripheral pads and thermal pads. Unfortunately there is no easier answer.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards

Rainer Taube

FED Director Standardisation
Master IPC Trainer (IPC-A-610)

TAUBE ELECTRONIC GmbH
Nostitzstraße 30
10965 Berlin
Tel.: ++49 (0)30 6959 2511
Fax: ++49 (0)30 6942 338
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.taube-electronic.de

Geschäftsführer/CEO: Rainer Taube
Amtsgericht/Trade Register: Berlin HRB 95715 B
USt.-ID/VAT: DE 814229848
Nostitzstraße 30
10965 Berlin

Am 2 Mar 2015 um 10:49 hat Jack Olson geschrieben: