DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2015

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dean Stadem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:43:16 -0500
The IPC now has a formatting document with General PWB Design Guidelines that anybody can use as a template for their company's controlling PWB Design rules document. The IPC is the first in line to acknowledge that no standard can control every aspect of a design or fabrication rule.
I have written several of these PWB Design Rules or PWB Acceptance documents for many different companies (even though I am not strictly a design engineer), and within that document I have outlined the company's philosophy for minor changes that occur as a result of autorouting or trace optimization. Usually, the customer company wants at least some notification of etch factors, autoroute changes, etc., so they can make sure that these will not affect the performance of the finished CCA (what seems relatively minor to a PWB fabricator can be a great big showstopper for the user).
Something like this is invaluable; you cannot detail everything on the PWB Fab drawing.
dean